Friday, October 8, 2010

Bring the Garden in Friday with Rose Scented Geranium Pound Cake




It may be October, but the daytime temperatures have been in the 70's the past few days.

At this time of year when the weather is good, I take to eating lunch in the sunshine on our patio steps. It seems silly really, when there is a table below, but somehow that spot gets the perfect amount of warmth. Sitting on the steps, I am amongst my geraniums, and amidst the pink, red and white flowers is one scented geranium.

I've managed to hold onto it for two Summers now, having brought it indoors last Winter. It doesn't bloom, but it has a lovely rose aroma when the leaves are rubbed.

Some of the leaves are beginning to yellow a bit, probably because it isn't getting as much sun, and I decided that now is the time to put it to culinary use before another Winter.

I made a half-recipe of a traditional pound cake and lined the bottom of a loaf pan with a few scented geranium leaves. I then poured the batter into the pan and baked the cake as usual.

When I opened the oven to check if the cake was ready, the rose scent billowed out. The leaves turned dark green, thin and crisp. You can see how they looked baked into the bottom of the loaf.

The taste of rose was subtle. When I took a bite near the bottom of a slice, I could definitely taste it, but not overwhelmingly so. Depending on how much flavor you want, you could try lining the sides with leaves, as well. I was unsure how potent the rose flavor would be, so I was conservative.

When I cut a slice, I left what leaf stayed on. It had a delicate, papery crispness.

I imagine you have a favorite pound cake recipe. Mine was half of what gave the cake it's name: a pound each of butter, flour, eggs, sugar, some vanilla and lemon juice.

If you give this a try, please show me what you've done. I'd love to see.

No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...