Thursday, February 3, 2011

Bring the Garden in Friday with Rosemary, Asiago and Olive Bread


It's good to be back here. I hadn't intended to be gone so long, but the spoon has been working it's magic, and we've had a lot of snow days and delayed school openings during the past couple weeks.

I've been meaning to make this bread that whole time, but I always seemed to be missing an ingredient that I couldn't get out for. Finally, I shopped and put my ingredients under lock and key, and I found them safe and sound last evening to make this savory quick bread.

This recipe is from this past Fall's King Arthur Flour catalog. It called for buttermilk powder and cheese powder, both of which King Arthur sells. I didn't have them or really care to use them, so I consulted the online baking support at the King Arthur site to ask a couple questions about making substitutions.

This was so fun and helpful. I typed in my question, and a baker responded to me within a few seconds. I was ready to bake just like that!

This bread is incredible. What I really love about it is the addition of semolina flour, which gives it a little sandy, graininess. I was worried it might not be so flavorful because of the omission of cheese powder (the KA baker said the bread would just be less cheesy without it). However, with good Asiago cheese, I think this was plenty "cheesy" for my taste.

My rosemary bush is mostly snow covered, but I was able to reach a branch sticking out. I went out at 5:30 last evening to snip it, and there was just a last hint of light. The days are lengthening slowly.

It felt good to be out in the hushed, blanketed garden, if only for a moment, with Harry romping by my side.

Rosemary, Asiago and Olive Bread
adapted from King Arthur Flour

2 cups (8 1/2 ounces) all-purpose flour
1 cup (5 ounces) semolina flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped, fresh rosemary
1 cup (4 ounces) grated Asiago cheese, plus 1/4 cup (1 ounce) for garnish
1/3 cup (1/2 ounce) fresh parsley
1 cup (5 1/2 ounces) olives, chopped (I used black, oil cured, which are my favorite)
1 1/2 cups (12 ounces) buttermilk
1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces) olive oil
2 large eggs

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9" x 5" loaf pan.

Whisk the dry ingredients in a bowl until well blended. Toss in the cheese, herbs, and olives.

In a separate bowl, whisk the buttermilk, oil, and eggs until foamy. Stir in the flour mixture, then spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup grated cheese.

Bake the bread for 50 minutes, or until a tester inserted into the middle of the loaf comes out clean. Remove it from the oven, and after 10 minutes turn it out of the pan onto a rack to cool.


No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...