Thursday, August 18, 2011

Strawberries for a Cause


About a month after Aaron died, during the final week of school, his teacher organized a bake sale to benefit one of the foundations we designated for donations in his memory.

The days preceding the sale his class baked and wrapped like crazy. They put signs up all over school. Others, including me, also baked or contributed store bought items for sale. The event was a huge success.

Here's a tip if you ever run a fundraiser at a school. Make sure you get to the bus drivers! That's what Aaron's school did, first thing in the morning, they went right out to where the buses pull in.

Thank you bus drivers. You didn't even know Aaron because I drove him to school every day, but you were generous anyway. Things have just been like that for us in the past few months. I think it is Aaron's doing, the way he loved people so much.

I made strawberry bread, two loaves, and sliced them for sale by the piece. I make this bread every Spring at least once. It turns a little pink and just makes me feel happy because late Spring is normally a cheerful time of year.

I know we're well past strawberries, but I thought you might have tucked some away in the freezer. I have made this bread with blueberries and peeled, chopped peaches, but I favor the strawberry version.

Strawberry Bread
adapted from Simply in Season

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups strawberries, mashed
3/4 cup sugar
2/3 cup oil
2 eggs
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl, stirring until just combined. Pour into a greased 8-inch loaf pan and bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 1 hour.

No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...