Sunday, July 1, 2012

Salad Is Happening Here



I am a salad composer.  I work from what I have and rarely make the same salad twice.  I have a short memory for what I have concocted, no matter how fully I enjoy it.

My salads are like a happening; existing in that time and place, never to be performed again.

I am starting to write these compositions down, so I can share them with you and maybe even perfect upon them.

Circumstances here on vacation have put me into salad making mode. It's been very hot, and after a long day at the beach when we're coming home full of sun, turning on the oven is not appealing.  Secondly, while this kitchen is well supplied with equipment for breakfast and cocktails (Mr. Savory made us pancakes on the electric griddle this morning), it's rather lacking in the basics for cooking dinner.  Last evening after filling the largest pot with water to boil for corn, I realized that the one pot lid in the cabinet is too small for that particular pot...





Shrimp, Green Bean and Corn Salad

4 cups green beans, boiled or steamed until tender
2 ears corn, cooked and cut off the cob
1 large tomato, cut into one-inch chunks
1/2 cucumber, peeled, seeded and sliced in half-moons
1 Hokurei turnip, thinly sliced
1/4-1/2 cup toasted walnuts, broken into pieces or coarsely chopped
1/4 cup or more to taste, crumbled Parmesan cheese
Handful of basil leaves, torn
1/2 pound cooked shrimp
Mustard-y dressing of your choice (we had a mustard-mayo sauce that we used)

Cut green beans into one-inch pieces and combine in a large bowl with all the other ingredients, except shrimp.  Layer shrimp on top of salad for serving.  Pass dressing around for everyone to take their own. 

Serves 3 as a main dish, 6 as a side salad.



No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...