Monday, October 15, 2012

Garden Party





I will invite New Girl back to my garden next summer.  She was a good producer.  These are the last of her fruit for the season, as yesterday I pulled her up.

She may invite herself back, however, as seems many of my plants do.  Yellow Pear tomatoes, Brandywine, celosia, cilantro and watermelon all decided my garden was a good spot to hang, and planted themselves this year.  It's not a recipe for a tidy garden to let unknowns sprout and trail this way and that and down stone walls, but the surprises do provide a bit of fun.



My zinnia's are quite obedient, however, and only come up where I have planted them that season. They have kept my vases full since July, and they provide relative order to my reluctant open-house garden party.

Hearing my complaints, my friend N. said, "you can pull things up."  Saying no to another bud to water has never been my strong suit. 

2 comments :

  1. "Saying no to another bud to water has never been my strong suit."
    I am with you Clarice!! ..and if you can believe it - some store bought cherry tomatoes, that spilled from a dropped grocery bag into the rock garden last winter and left for the squirrels to enjoy, happily sprouted this summer! I love surprise visitors...and what is wrong with having tomatoe plants in a rock garden anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your nice comment on my verse to garlic on Ms. Becky's site. It looks like you have a nice site too.
    I have a rather shaded garden. So I stop at farmers markets for produce when I can. I used my last green tomatoes chopped up in a homemade vegetable soup.

    Cheers, Jules

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...