Saturday, June 16, 2012

Prepared For Inspiration





I've been shopping little by little this week to give us a well-stocked Italian pantry.  According to Frances and Edward Mayes, in their The Tuscan Sun Cookbook, a pantry full of the essentials will not only save you time, but will also serve to inspire you.

Considering that we already had the majority of these simple ingredients, I focused my attention on the cheeses.  I found four of the eight listed at my co-op, and three at the cheese shop in a nearby farmer's market.  One (Grana Padano), I still need to locate. 

I now have a cheese drawer filled with Parmigiano-Reggiano, Fontina, Taleggio, Pecorino (recommended is fresh, slightly aged and aged--I think I bought aged), Gorgonzola, Robiola and Asiago.

So far, we have used the Gorgonzola in salads, and the Fontina in marinated portobello sandwiches (and a grilled cheese sandwich for Olivia). 

I look forward to enjoying my Italian cheeses any way I please, as well as delving into the more authentic recipes in this pretty cookbook. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...